About Terry Anderson

Thanks for visiting the ‘Virtual Canuck’ Terry Anderson

This is my first real blog, but I have been online for over 30 years. My one (and only) Net claim to fame is that I think I organized the first ever ‘virtual conference’. This was run on UseNet, Bit Net and various listservs for the International Council on Distance Education in 1993. I also taught the first Internet course at the University of Calgary. Ironically when students completed the course in 1992, there was no way that a personal could purchase Internet access. Thus, my course was pretty popular, as it came with 6 month access to the net!

Currently, I am a Professor Emeretus and former Canada Research Chair in Distance Education at Athabasca University – Canada’s Open University. I used to teach educational technology courses in the Masters of Education and Research Methods courses in the Doctor of Education program. I am also the director of the Canadian Institute for Distance Education Research CIDER.

You can check out my Google Scholar Research Profile.

I was also the Editor for 10 years and am currently Editor Emeritus of the International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning (IRRODL). IRRODL is the most widely read and most highly cited journal in our field. It has always been an open access journal and we welcome contributions, reviewers and subscribers- all free of charge.

My still continue on the “keynote” circuit – having done over 50 keynotes in the last 12 years in every continent. You can check out some of the slides from these presentations on Slideshare

My current research interests relate to social software use in distance education. You can find more about me including a long and boring CV and some of my recent published articles and presentations at my profile on the Athabasca Landing (Athabasca’s boutique social network)

I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada  in the community of Riverdale with my wife Susan.

13 thoughts on “About Terry Anderson

1. Dear Terry,

What a coincidence on names, eh? I came across Athabasca University as I was searching for a distance learning program (I am wanting to pursue doctoral studies in education). As a longtime educator, I have always known that education as we know it is going to be revolutionized and transformed with technology and virtual learning. The discussions I have had with my colleagues here in California have dealt with the reality of conforming to students who live in a digital world, and sadly, their teachers by and large, do not. We are forward thinking, however, and are looking to change that.

I have been reading some of your postings, and I find the discussions interesting. I will explore the discussions further.

2. Hi Terry,

I’m a IT student from the Philippines and i’ve been doing my research about the education in second life.. i’ve gone through your blog and your post about second life helps me in doing my study.
    now, i am searching for residents/users who i can interview with about their experience in second life for me to go further with this study. i would like to ask you a favor if you can be one of my respondents. i would be very greatful to hear from you. (you can send me an email into miabernaldo@yahoo.com, this is my email address)

thank you so much. God Bless

3. Always happy to find fellow Canucks involved in thinking about online teaching, open education and other exciting issues. (I am not formally a Canuck, but have been here enough years to feel some sort of attachment). I am currently doing my MA in Higher Ed at OISE/Uni of Toronto. I believe I met a colleague of yours at the Open Ed conference in Utah this fall.
    Stian

4. I’ll have to keep up with your blog. Getting some good use out of your textbook, “The Theory and Practice of Online Learning.”

You’ll be happy to know Royal Roads uses it. I would have probably read it anyway. I’ve been a web project manager and UX/IX/IA guy for years. Just broadening myself with an MA in Learning and Technology.

5. Hi Terry

I’m working on a project for the UN FAO (Food and Agricultural Organization) IMARK project and doing a bit on communities and networks – a topic we both seem to enjoy. I was wondering if I can ask permission to use the material (fully referenced of course) on this blog post: http://terrya.edublogs.org/2007/04/30/on-groups-networks-and-collectives/ and if the paper you were writing is online some place. I can’t seem to find it (though I find lots of references TO it in your slide decks!)

Thanks and Happy New Year

Nancy

6. […] June 29, 2010 Is your Moodle course accessible? Posted by smurph under Uncategorized | Tags: accessibility, IRRDOL, Moodle, Universal Instructional Design principles | No Comments  The strengths and virtues of the International Review of Research in Distance and Open Learning (IRRODL) have been extolled previously in my ramblings. It’s still churning out relevant and useful articles, reviews and comments on a regular basis, under the fine tutelage of Terry Anderson. […]