3 thoughts on “Blog Implementation Model in Higher education

1. Hello Terry,

I enjoyed reading your implementation framework, and agree that edublogs should accommodate the expectation of learners that their posts will be read and commented upon. Learners should have ownership over their content, including the right to modifying the privacy settings.

Implementing a blogging tool that can be seamlessly integrated into the other social, public networks that users participate in, is perhaps subject to conditions, and might be problematic. Perhaps legal integration may be an additional element to be added to the framework?

I think that a crucial factor that needs to distinguish edublogs from other blogs is a promise (within limits) of safety and privacy.

Even before the moment a learner considers opening up a post to the public domain, the institution needs to consider a process of preparing the learner for a number of consequences, and informing them of risks and benefits. In effect, informed consent should be received before a learner moves from a private edublogging environment to a public one.

Learners’ identities might need to protected from other learners, and not just from the public at large, and anonymous blogging would be an option to accommodate this. I think this should be a right of learners. Institutions should offer an option for learners to restrict access to their personal profiles. A consent form (in the form of a covenant) would need to be signed before anonymous student bloggers open up their profiles and participate as themselves in cohort discussions/activities.

Issues abound when we consider how anonymous and autonomous learners might interact with one another.

Even in cases when students (who have made their profiles and content public within the LMS) inadvertently make content accessible by mistake in the public domain from within the institution’s learning community, the institution needs to act as mediator and addresses the errors/omissions, recommending solutions for redress as required.

In effect, within the context of formal, institutional edublogging, the learner is expected to abide by specific rules of conduct, and be given choices over how/when to restrict or open access to content/profiles/comments. In addition, the insitution provides guidance and protection.

It is my view that legal aspects need to be accounted for in the blog implementation model, particularly if there is going to be so many opportunities for learners to copy content from the protected space to unprotected spaces.

Glenn Groulx
    MDE Student
    Athabasca University

2. Thanks Terry for this wonderful model. We are currently researching on blogs and Moodle Forum discussion. I think your implementation model would provide us with valuable insights in understanding the reasons for people using such tools in a course of study or for personal learning.

Would you mind us quoting your model in our research discussion?

I hope we could co-create such practical models based on the emergence of learning

John

3. I’m thrilled to hear you might find some value in this model in your work/discussion, research or teaching. Feel free to quote (with attribution) as you will. And thanks for the kind words John.
    Terry