6 thoughts on “Collectivism and Connectivism

1. The notion of an “individual” identity isn’t coherent, just as the notion of a private (individual) language isn’t coherent. Language is at its root a process of communication. And identities are at root a process of belonging, in which a biological individual acquires a social mind and an understanding of her/his place(s) in the larger parts of social life.

2. Interesting blog. I am developing my own personal learning networks outside of my school system. The people I’m connecting with are becoming friends, collaborators and co-conspirators on group projects and leaning opportunities. I think that we can develop these networks for our students while teaching them the responsibilities of digital citizenship.

3. Thanks for the comment Robert. You are quite correct. The individual view was added as an aside to this post. I was trying to acknowledge all the learning I (and I assume others) do by ourselves. Also trying to get at the notions of individual motivation, volition, competence etc. – Bare in mind that I grew up in cowboy country in Calgary where individual license means a lot.
    But, as you suggest the individual is a function of their social context and this does develop as the social mind. And certainly needs better explication than above.

4. Terry, your notion of groups and networks sounds a lot like the distinction between ‘communities of purpose’ and ‘communities of interest’? I made some comments on this in a recent paper http://www.ascilite.org.au/conferences/singapore07/procs/carey.pdf

I am not keen on putting groups and teams in the same category: as a teacher, I was always trying to turn student groups into teams (and to help them understand the difference). I agree with the categorization of groups based on the strength of coupling, but I would like to reserve the word ‘team’ for a group which achieves a sense of common purpose and a commitment for the whole to be greater than the sum of the parts, even if that comes at the expense of individual benefit.

Fans of the National Basketball Association in the U.S. may want to think of this distinction in terms of Kobe Bryant and the Lakers this year vs. last (I write from southern California…).